The video reveals some interesting new details on the awkwardly-acronymed vessel. The computer-generated vignette shows ACTUV working in conjunction with other platforms to track and prosecute submarines using onboard sensors. These include a mid-frequency active/passive sonar mounted in a pod under the vessel's keel, two high frequency active sonars for localization, and a total-field magnetometer array along the ACTUV's hull for close-in tracking. A very high frequency sonar will then use acoustic imaging to classify the sub. Also interesting are the other possible missions ACTUV could conduct which include:
- Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconaissance
- Acting as a Surveillance Towed Array Sensor System (SURTASS) surrogate, a mission currently conducted by manned platforms.
- SOF Over-watch and support
- Acting as a mothership for UUVs and AUVs
- Communications relay for networked undersea sensors
- Littoral logistics and resupply